A note of an amateur who has recently bought a GoPro.
Accessories + things to buy #
- GoPro HERO9 Black. I chose to buy a bundle -- 350 EUR.
- Deyard Accessories Kit (Shockproof Carry Bag + Waterproof Case + Tempered Glass Screen Protector + Silicone Cover + Snorkel Filter Bundle). -- 22 USD. What I like from this: A carry bag with a zip compartiment + Tempered Glass Screen Protector (for capturing under the water) + a silicon cap + a waterproof case + cheap price.
- HERO9 Black Dual Battery Charger + Spare Battery (goes with HERO9 bundle). In total, I have 3 batteries.
- Magnetic Swivel Clip (goes with HERO9 bundle). It's useful if you wanna handle your gopro on a backpack.
- SD cards: 1 microSDXC SanDisk Extreme PRO 128 GB (SDSQXCY-128G-GN6MA) + 2 SanDisk Extreme 64 GB (SDSQXA2-064G-GN6MA) + 1 microSD Extreme SanDisk 32 GB (goes with HERO9 bundle, SDSQXAF-032G-GN6GN). Tip: you should check the official list of supported SD cards from GoPro website. Remember, the type of card is really important, otherwise, your footages cannot be saved correctly.
- An external HDD: WD - My Passport for Mac 4TB -- 130 EUR. Used to store your videos. Tip: you should format your drive into exFAT so that Windows, MacOS and Android can recognize it. On MacOS, you can use built-in Disk Utilities app, on Windows, you can use a free edition of MiniTool Partition Wizard to format the drive.
- (Optional) An card reader/adapter: TUTUO USB C card reader -- 13 EUR. It's useful if you wanna copy videos from SD cards to external HDD using an android tablet. I use it with Galaxy Tab S7+. Tip: if you wanna buy another adapter, you should buy one with OTG support.
- (Optional) An AIO tripod, I used AuyKoo Perche à Selfie Trépied -- 25 EUR. It's better than The Handler (goes with the bundle) in case we it has a tripod and you can extend the high. Note, if you bought a gimbal with a tripod like Inkee Falcon below, you don't have to buy this tripod.
- A Gimbal: It's difficult to find a gimbal for HERO9 because this GoPro version goes with HyperSmooth 3.0 which is really better to stabilize without a Gimbal. However, in the real world, it's not so good, especially when you move up/down. The only gimbal which suits to HERO9 I've found is INKEE Falcon -- 74 EUR. I bought it from AliExpress.
- (If you're rich) Quark Stabilizer 2
Below are my personal settings I've found on the internet. They may not be the best ones.
- Fixed position:
- Option 1: 1080 - 60 - L - HypOn - BitRate High - ShutAuto - Min 100 - Max 3200 - SharpLow.
- Option 2: 1080 - 30fps - L - HypOn - BitRate High - ShutAuto - Min 100 - Max 1600 - SharpLow.
- Option 1: 4K - 60 - L - HypOn - Bitrate High - Shut Auto - Min 100 - Max 200 - Sharp Med.
- GoPro Support Hub -- SD Cards that Work with GoPro Cameras.
- GoPro Media Library (If you subsribe to GoPro Plus -- 49 EUR / year)
- ClicklikeThis -- How Many Minutes of Video Per GB? Hold Capacity (All Card Sizes).
- (For iMovie) Use your external HDD as a source of Library (no need to copy to your Mac)
No copyright sound sources #
- Youtube Music -- YouTube Studio.
- Facebook Sound Collection.
- Audio Library — Music for content creators.
- Vlog No Copyright Music -- I really like this one, I use its tracks for my video background music.
- Don't record a very-long-and-boring videos, record moments and use a video editor (like iMovie) to merge them later.
- Travel with not many SD Cards?
- Use around 1x32GB + 2x64GB + 1x128GB.
- Record only moments.
- A tablet to be a bridge where we can use it to copy videos from SD to exHDD.
- HDD formated in exFAT.
- Where to store?
- Option 1 : Google Photos. I don't like: limit to 2TB (you can buy more when you reach it but it's expensive) + expensive + difficult to manage video album + cannot share private videos to embed in a website + cannot share to youtube. I like: I use it as a photo backup (started from the time Google allow us to upload unlimitedly) + powerful to search your album/photos/videos.
- Option 2 (I use) : exHDD. I use WD Passport 4TB + Toshiba 2TB.
- Option 3 (I use) : Upload video to Youtube and set to private or ublisted. Be careful on the audio you use in the video. Note: the videos you saved on Youtube can be deleted without any reason!
- Option 4 (I use) : GoPro Plus. I like: unlimited + keep your original footages + goes with many options including offering 2 free replacement cameras for your gopro + you can share your video to youtube/facebook in background. I don't like: take longer to upload + cannot make album + cannot share as embedded + the management system is bad.
Fix things #
MacOS cannot recognize SD Card? #
The operation can’t be completed because one or more required items can’t be found.
Just Force to quit Finder and relaunch it.
Flicker problems #
For example, this video. Choose PAL settings (50fps) instead of NTSC.
•This is a draft note.