A note of an amateur who has recently bought a GoPro.
Accessories + things to buy
- GoPro HERO9 Black. I chose to buy a bundle -- 350 EUR.
- Deyard Accessories Kit (Shockproof Carry Bag + Waterproof Case + Tempered Glass Screen Protector + Silicone Cover + Snorkel Filter Bundle). -- 22 USD. What I like from this: A carry bag with a zip compartiment + Tempered Glass Screen Protector (for capturing under the water) + a silicon cap + a waterproof case + cheap price.
- HERO9 Black Dual Battery Charger + Spare Battery (goes with HERO9 bundle). In total, I have 3 batteries.
- Magnetic Swivel Clip (goes with HERO9 bundle). It's useful if you wanna handle your gopro on a backpack.
- SD cards: 1 microSDXC SanDisk Extreme PRO 128 GB (SDSQXCY-128G-GN6MA) + 2 SanDisk Extreme 64 GB (SDSQXA2-064G-GN6MA) + 1 microSD Extreme SanDisk 32 GB (goes with HERO9 bundle, SDSQXAF-032G-GN6GN). Tip: you should check the official list of supported SD cards from GoPro website. Remember, the type of card is really important, otherwise, your footages cannot be saved correctly.
- An external HDD: WD - My Passport for Mac 4TB -- 130 EUR. Used to store your videos. Tip: you should format your drive into exFAT so that Windows, MacOS and Android can recognize it. On MacOS, you can use built-in Disk Utilities app, on Windows, you can use a free edition of MiniTool Partition Wizard to format the drive.
- (Optional) An card reader/adapter: TUTUO USB C card reader -- 13 EUR. It's useful if you wanna copy videos from SD cards to external HDD using an android tablet. I use it with Galaxy Tab S7+. Tip: if you wanna buy another adapter, you should buy one with OTG support.
- (Optional) An AIO tripod, I used AuyKoo Perche à Selfie Trépied -- 25 EUR. It's better than The Handler (goes with the bundle) in case we it has a tripod and you can extend the high. Note, if you bought a gimbal with a tripod like Inkee Falcon below, you don't have to buy this tripod.
- A Gimbal: It's difficult to find a gimbal for HERO9 because this GoPro version goes with HyperSmooth 3.0 which is really better to stabilize without a Gimbal. However, in the real world, it's not so good, especially when you move up/down. The only gimbal which suits to HERO9 I've found is INKEE Falcon -- 74 EUR. I bought it from AliExpress.
- (If you're rich) Quark Stabilizer 2
Below are my personal settings I've found on the internet. They may not be the best ones.
- Fixed position:
- Option 1: 1080 - 60 - L - HypOn - BitRate High - ShutAuto - Min 100 - Max 3200 - SharpLow.
- Option 2: 1080 - 30fps - L - HypOn - BitRate High - ShutAuto - Min 100 - Max 1600 - SharpLow.
- Option 1: 4K - 60 - L - HypOn - Bitrate High - Shut Auto - Min 100 - Max 200 - Sharp Med.
- GoPro Support Hub -- SD Cards that Work with GoPro Cameras.
- GoPro Media Library (If you subsribe to GoPro Plus -- 49 EUR / year)
- ClicklikeThis -- How Many Minutes of Video Per GB? Hold Capacity (All Card Sizes).
- (For iMovie) Use your external HDD as a source of Library (no need to copy to your Mac)
No copyright sound sources
- Youtube Music -- YouTube Studio.
- Facebook Sound Collection.
- Audio Library — Music for content creators.
- Vlog No Copyright Music -- I really like this one, I use its tracks for my video background music.
- Don't record a very-long-and-boring videos, record moments and use a video editor (like iMovie) to merge them later.
- Travel with not many SD Cards?
- Use around 1x32GB + 2x64GB + 1x128GB.
- Record only moments.
- A tablet to be a bridge where we can use it to copy videos from SD to exHDD.
- HDD formated in exFAT.
- Where to store?
- Option 1 : Google Photos. I don't like: limit to 2TB (you can buy more when you reach it but it's expensive) + expensive + difficult to manage video album + cannot share private videos to embed in a website + cannot share to youtube. I like: I use it as a photo backup (started from the time Google allow us to upload unlimitedly) + powerful to search your album/photos/videos.
- Option 2 (I use) : exHDD. I use WD Passport 4TB + Toshiba 2TB.
- Option 3 (I use) : Upload video to Youtube and set to private or ublisted. Be careful on the audio you use in the video. Note: the videos you saved on Youtube can be deleted without any reason!
- Option 4 (I use) : GoPro Plus. I like: unlimited + keep your original footages + goes with many options including offering 2 free replacement cameras for your gopro + you can share your video to youtube/facebook in background. I don't like: take longer to upload + cannot make album + cannot share as embedded + the management system is bad.
MacOS cannot recognize SD Card?
The operation can’t be completed because one or more required items can’t be found.
Just Force to quit Finder and relaunch it.
For example, this video. Choose PAL settings (50fps) instead of NTSC.