This post was updated more than 1 year ago, some information may be outdated!
👉 Ref: Main tutorial from Microsoft.
# Eanble Windows Subsystem for Linux
# PowerShell as Admin
dism.exe /online /enable-feature /featurename:Microsoft-Windows-Subsystem-Linux /all /norestart
# Enable Virtual Machine Platform (for WSL2)
dism.exe /online /enable-feature /featurename:VirtualMachinePlatform /all /norestart
# restart required
# Download and install WSL2 Linux kernel update package for x64 machines
# Set WSL2 as default version
# PowerShell as Admin
wsl --set-default-version 2
# Go to Windows Store
# Choose a Linux Distro and install it
# After installing, run Ubuntu app from Start menu
# Follow the instruction on screen
# Update system
sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade # be careful, it takes time!
# Install dependencies (it takes time)
sudo apt-get install git-core curl wget fontconfig zlib1g-dev build-essential libssl-dev libreadline-dev libyaml-dev libsqlite3-dev sqlite3 libxml2-dev libxslt1-dev libcurl4-openssl-dev software-properties-common libffi-dev
Cdrive is located in
- The Download folder is located in
- Open current folder (in WSL2) with Windows Explorer:
- If you wanna create a drive (eg.
Z): click on Linux icon in Explorer > Right click on Ubuntu folder > "Map network drive.."
Docker + GPU + WSL
- Make WSL2 recognize GPU on Windows 10 👉 Check this tut with some remarks:
- Microsoft's: Enable TensorFlow with DirectML in WSL 2. Note that, you have to use the version of python look like exactly in the guide (mine, it's 3.6), otherwise, it won't work!
# check if gpu available with docker on wsl2
docker run --rm -it --gpus=all nvcr.io/nvidia/k8s/cuda-sample:nbody nbody -gpu -benchmark
# should see something like this
> Windowed mode
> Simulation data stored in video memory
> Single precision floating point simulation
> 1 Devices used for simulation
GPU Device 0: "GeForce GTX 1070" with compute capability 6.1
> Compute 6.1 CUDA device: [GeForce GTX 1070]
15360 bodies, total time for 10 iterations: 11.949 ms
= 197.446 billion interactions per second
= 3948.925 single-precision GFLOP/s at 20 flops per interaction
👉 Check some tests in this section.
Problems with Windows 10 Insider Preview
- If you meet error "Your insider preview build settings need attention", restart many times don't solve the problem. 👉 Go to Account setting, then choose "Verify".
- If you cannot install Windows 10 Insider Preview in any case, just abandon, wait for some next regular update and try again. It work for me with no reason!
Jekyll on WSL2
Remark: We should clone a new version from Github to the local (inside wsl) machine.
sudo apt-get install -y ruby-full build-essential zlib1g-dev
# Make sure we don't use gem on Windows system
which gem # /usr/bin/ruby
# restart Windows Terminal
sudo gem install bundler
# cd to jekyll theme folder
# continue as usual
bundle exec jekyll build # 1st time after installing
bundle exec jekyll serve
bundle exec jekyll serve -I
sudo apt-get install libv8-dev
# install nodejs
curl -sL https://deb.nodesource.com/setup_14.x | bash -
sudo apt-get install -y nodejs
# Troubleshoot: wsl2 jekyll auto generation windows
# Clone a repo to wsl local, not clone by git on Windows!
VSCode + WSL2 + jekyll
- Install extension Remote-WSL
- Connect via Debian instead! (
WSL with cmder
Settings > Startup > Tasks > +
# for debian
set PATH="%ConEmuBaseDirShort%\wsl";%PATH% & wsl -d debian
# for ubuntu
set PATH="%ConEmuBaseDirShort%\wsl";%PATH% & wsl -d ubuntu
Choose font Cascadia Code in General > Fonts.